I beg to differ.

What was your childhood dream?

Funny isn't it that when we are already old enough we are often posted with questions that are totally opposite of what were asked to us back when we were young.

What do you want to be when you grow up?

You will probably think that I am lying if I will say that I don't have a childhood dream. All of us must have had one at one point in our lives. Well, let's just say that I am not one of those lucky bunch who at the age of 6 had already realized and said to themselves that "I will be a professional singer someday". I always sing out of tune. My body stiffens whenever I'm in the dance floor. I have tendencies to be stoical. In short, the world of entertainment is not for me. I never imagined nor see my self auditioning. That'll be the end of the world if I do that. lol. I also have no talent for drawing. I can only do basic shapes so fine arts, architecture or becoming a painter were out of the picture as well. Back then and maybe till now, I am still trying to find myself a place under the sun.

But when we were graders, our teachers were like broken record, always asking us what do we want to do with our lives. And believe it or not, as for me, first dream was to be a traffic enforcer. lol. I was just amazed as to why is it that a person standing in the middle of the street can avoid being ran over by a track or getting hit by a car. Leaves me chuckling with the thought of me wearing a white glove under the heat of the sun at the center of a cross road. What a sight. haha.

I also thought of becoming a teacher so I could wear those mono-colored uniform, terrorize "little people" and how fun it would be giving tests instead of taking them!

But yes, I never become one of these.

When I reached high school I get to know more of my skills more than my talents. I had set my mind to take up accountancy. I've been acing our bookkeeping subject and as a hard proof, if you'd look at my high school year book, you'd see under my profile: "She's going to be an accountant."

But yes again, I'll never be one.


I found myself enrolling for an engineering course. The path I had chosen was tough and uncertain. But then somehow I finished college. Though in the end I failed to get the title I thought I'd have after 5 years and 6 months of preparation. I could say that that was one of the darkest and saddest days of my life. Then you might even wonder what the hell am I doing. Staying in this place that would constantly remind me of my failure. Staying away from the comfort of my family and friends.

But well, just like what they say: you got to cry a river, build a bridge and then get over it.

I think I am stronger than I ever gave myself credit for.

True: Life right now doesn't include a professional license card, an entire 25th floor with the view over looking the city as an office, no product design projects, no yellow beetle as a car, no dozen credit cards. Maybe I am not cut-out to be a company project engineer (or maybe not yet) but then, so what?

All I know is that right now I am blessed. Truly blessed.

And that in this worldy-world whose tenants always try to impose and put you in a box, I am just glad I did not turned out to be someone's I-think-you'll-be-this.

Yes, I beg to differ.

0 comments:

Leave a Comment

Back to Home Back to Top