500 Days Lesson #3: For Almost Lovers

Do you think there's such a thing as that? You are together but not entirely in some sort of a relationship? Is this where the facebook relationship status It's complicated comes in? Personally that's the last relationship status I would ever click on. But yeah maybe it's a 21st century thing: no strings attached. A boy and a girl can go out together, do some snuggling and maybe a little more than that but they're no couple. Alright, I think I'm now grasping the idea of that it's complicated status.

From the movie, Summer is a girl who doesn't believe in love and settling down is not in her list of priorities. Tom on the other hand is all for love. Summer made it clear to him that she'd only want to be friends with him but she do like him but she don't want to have a boyfriend. I think I'm confusing you here. So am I. I was thinking that Summer certainly did liked Tom but possibly she had never loved him the way he does. But I have to agree with Tom. Normal "friends" don't do some smooching or let alone have sex. So maybe they're more than friends but less than lovers. Almost lover.

Personally, I don't see the point of committing one self in such status. Although maybe that's it --- non-committal to a commitment is the answer. Maybe there's just people who doesn't like commitment. In a spur of a moment it made me think if I'm one of them too. When Summer said these words:

OK. I, like being on my own. I think relationships are messy and people’s feelings get hurt. Who needs it? We’re young, we live in one of the most beautiful cities in the world; might as well have fun while we can and, save the serious stuff for later.

It just clicked on me. I muttered to myself: That is so true. I agree! I like being on my own...Save the serious stuffs for later.

But that set aside it just got me thinking: How important are labels? Like boy-friend/girl-friend/finance', do they really matter? Some would say it doesn't really matter as long as your happy in each others company. And why rock the boat when every thing is going well?

On the other hand with-out those labels you don't have a claim on anything. You'd have no right to get hurt, to expect more, to get jealous, to ask for more. After all what are you but mere casual acquaintance? And just like what they say: you can never lose what was never yours in the first place.

So my take in this subject, I'd never recommend an almost lover. It's either you are a couple or not. There should be nothing in between.

So my recommendation if you are caught up in this set-up, rock the boat. If your almost lover can't give a direct answer, just say tata for now and sing:

Goodbye, my almost lover
Goodbye, my hopeless dream
I'm trying not to think about you
Can't you just let me be?
So long, my luckless romance
My back is turned on you
Should've known you'd bring me heartache
Almost lovers always do.

^_^

3 comments:

val said...
November 17, 2009 at 7:34 PM

this is why i don't like the word "almost", the phrase "not quite", and the text quote "how can you let go of someone you never had?"

haaaay...go pacquiao! XD

kristine cuer said...
November 18, 2009 at 12:43 AM

hahaha. yah, Almost is not a good word.

haha. yah, Congrats Pacquiao!=p

blitzking said...
November 19, 2009 at 2:11 PM

i was sure i wrote a comment. it ended with "is there on one else?" meaning Pacquiuao's opponents.

i guess i didnt get to that word verification part.

Leave a Comment

Back to Home Back to Top