I think I need Rehab

The first ever book I've bought from my own allowance was the first book of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Anne Brashares. It was a second-hand book. I was still a student back then so budget was tight and book sales/second-hand bookstores were great help. Before that, I usually would simply borrow books from my classmates or make use of my school library card.

My first book collections are all used books. Then I started saving and started purchasing new books. But I was not a fan of asking my mom for extra-allowance for non-school related stuffs so money was a problem back then and so I ended up using my library card again.

It was when I finally started earning a living that I gave in to my perks. Almost every pay day, I'd buy one or two. But reading books is one thing and collecting them is a totally a different thing. Remember the saying: Don't judge the book by it's cover? Well, if you start collecting books, cover does matter. Sometimes, it could drive you crazy thinking as to when will this particular book cover version will be available.

Size, publisher, version will matter. If you started collecting Hard bound you want all to be hard bound. If you had it soft bound, you want all to be soft bound. And then there are cases where in a certain book became a mega-hit that the author decided to make it in to a series, you ended up cursing the author cause that'll mean more expenses cause you have to collect them all. But you ended up waiting for the sequel and buying them anyway.

And then there's the original book cover and you love the book so much that when it was made in to a major motion picture you ended up buying the movie-tie-in edition of the book. Some people might ask what's the point of buying the same book that you already have when the content is still the same and the only difference is the cover? Yeah, what's the point of doing that when all we were after was the knowledge after all?

Personally, I can't think of a direct answer. But we could most likely credit giving in to all these whims for satisfaction and compulsiveness sake. Especially when a certain book looks so battered already which only means one thing, it was borrowed a lot of times and got dog ears in between pages.

Dog ears!

That's the number one enemy of book afficionados. That's why we have this so called bookmark invented because it's understandable that we need breaks in between reading and we need something to mark where we are in a book. But never, NEVER fold a book's page. Dog ears are a no no!

Anyway, I was planning to buy a new pair of shoes or pants maybe but then as usual I ended up buying books instead. I realized I better dress-up my brain first (if there's such a thing as that.) I better make my brain look good first before what's seen outside. haha. And guess what? I ended up buying 10 Books in a matter of 3 days! Yah, I think I need to be rehabbed. Don't ask me how much it all cost me. Siguro nga galit lang ako sa pera. lol

Well, at least all these overtime that I'm doing at work is not being put to waste. At least, I'm not buying drugs. haha. And at least again, I have something to keep me company for the upcoming days. Pero daig ko pa yung may exam sa dami ng babasahin.

But yay! I love them!^_^

kelan ang exam?XD

3 comments:

val said...
November 4, 2009 at 8:35 AM

the author of the book you're holding has released four diaries already, plus the DIY book. yeah, i'd personally hate it when authors release another book from a series, but i'd buy anyway.

i'm starting my bob ong collection. and i'm loving it. ^_^

i hate dog ears, and i hate creases sa spines. i'm OC-OC when it comes to my books; that's why i feel "postpartum depression"-ish when someone borrows a book from me. hahaha. exag, but it's true.

i have a mild case of addiction to collecting lang naman. but i do keep a list.

kristine cuer said...
November 4, 2009 at 11:33 PM

wow! great minds think a-like! haha. out of those 10 books I've purchased, 7 of them are Bob Ong's books. Finished reading them na. Yeah, I'm loving 'em too.^_^

val said...
November 5, 2009 at 9:27 AM

kapitan sino reminds me of tdp mod rogie! ahahahaha! "rogelio --- pangalan yan ng mga lolong mataas pa sa pusod pag nagsisinturon ng pantalon." lol. XD

Leave a Comment

Back to Home Back to Top